ShareThis

Saturday, March 27, 2010

My first red ant-mimic jumping spider!

My first red ant-mimic jumping spider. I have only found black and bluish ones before. This is my first red one :). Yes, so many firsts this year. Think i am on a roll :D

I think i might have mistaken them for weaver ants before :D

All images shot with a Canon 40D, Canon MPE65 1X-5X macro lens and Canon MT24EX Twin Flash with DIY Diffuser.

This Myrmarachne plataleoide mimic the red weaver ant as a mean of protection.
My 1st red ant-mimic spider...IMG_1291 copy

My 1st red ant-mimic spider...IMG_1282 copy

My 1st red ant-mimic spider...IMG_1227 copy


My 1st red ant-mimic spider...IMG_1384 copy

If you would like to see more spiders, check these out:
1. Ant-mimic crab spider eating weaver ant
2. More ant-mimic spiders
3. Wonderful jumping spiders
4. Ant-mimic crab spider - mating!
5. Red and black male ant-mimic jumping spider



All images shot with a Canon 40D, Canon MPE65 1X-5X macro lens and Canon MT24EX Twin Flash with DIY Diffuser.

4 comments:

  1. That's quite a spider. What do you do to diffuse your flash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myrmecos, i use this diffuser: http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionmystery/4439906788/

    The idea was from SteB but it was inspired by your tent diffuser!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a spider indeed! Is the whole front structure the chelicerae?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beetleinthebush - yes. I have a few shots of a female spider of the same species. It had really short chelicerae. I'll be posting them to my flickr soon. http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionmystery/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails